Project Abstract: 促进STEM成功的途径
Located in an area with high poverty and low educational attainment, College of the Mainland (COM) is a two-year public institution in the suburban/rural region between Houston and Galveston, Texas that serves 4,687 students pursuing certificates, associate 学位和学分转换. Approximately 31% of these students are Hispanic.
促进STEM成功的途径 is a comprehensive, cost-effective plan to deliver high-level STEM learning environments and address the growing demand for STEM jobs in the region through two primary goals: 目标1: Improve STEM Learning Experiences and 目标2: Improve STEM Student Support Services.
COM’s Title V Program is supported by promising evidence that indicates the following best practices to help improve retention and graduation rates among Hispanic and low-income 学生:
- Developing new and transferrable STEM programs
- Modernizing and expanding STEM infrastructure with new laboratory equipment
- Expanding STEM hybrid learning options
- Developing new articulation agreements
- Increasing STEM career and experiential learning support
- Offering a STEM contextualized summer bridge program
- Expanding financial literacy program to reach more students.
Funding for these strategies is needed to improve instructional support and academic attainment for Hispanic and low-income students. Five objectives will be tracked and 每年测量:
- 目标1.1: The number of declared Hispanic STEM majors will increase by three (3) percentage 年分，从343分到398分;
- 目标1.2: Full-time equivalent enrollment will increase by five (5) percentage points annually, 从3091到3945.
- 目标2.1: Fall-to-fall retention rates for Hispanic students will increase by one (1) percentage 每年，从64%到69%.
- 目标2.2: Three-year graduation rates for Hispanic students will increase by three (3) percentage 整体得分从32%上升到35%.
- 目标2.3: The number of students applying for financial aid will increase by one (1) percentage 年点，从54%到59%.
COM将使用 High-Skill, High-Growth Jobs Targeted by the Gulf Coast Workforce Board as a platform for working with local employers to develop career-related internships for the college’s four new engineering programs and other STEM majors.
建立在资源上 什么是有效的信息交换中心, 通路 project will address financial literacy by imbedding a Money Awareness Program into Psychology 1300 (a required class for all new students) and providing financial aid workshops through COM’s existing College Connection and Dual Credit programs.
Future COM Graduates - Summer Bridge 2018
Etiquette Luncheon hosted by Manners Pro
2月5日星期五. 3, 14 students from the Minority Men 4 Excellence Initiative (MM4EI) participated in the etiquette luncheon hosted by Manners Pro.
These students heard from lead facilitator Mary Lee Kennedy on key topics that included discussing business over a meal, group settings and business dining. 事件开始了 春季学期结束.
On Wednesday, May 11th, four students from the Minority Men 4 Excellence Initiative (MM4EI) participated in the 宇航员职业日 held at Minute Maid Park.
These students heard from several members of the Houston Astros Front Office Staff including the Director of Marketing, Director of Analytics and Director of Merchandising. These young men were rewarded with this event by attending at least two MM4EI meetings, attending one additional campus-sponsored event, and holding at least a 2.0的绩点. 后 the presentation the students stayed to watch the Astros take on the Cleveland Indians.
Developing Hispanic Serving Institutions Program – Title V